Self-Care Sunday: DIY Epsom Bath Soak

Image result for eye catching self care pictures
Illustration by Veronica Grech/For The Times)
The relief that washes over you when you sink into a warm tub can be even more therapeutic! From beauty stores to big box superstores, there seems to be a plethora of bath accessories, including bath salts. No, not the kind that will make you want to eat the face off of your favorite person, but rather the kind that can help to relieve stress and feel your pain begin to become more manageable.

There are just about as many bath products out there as there are cute doggos, and that’s a lot! Some of the things I look for in a bath soak is that it is cruelty-free, smells good, and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. But if it did cost an arm and a leg, that would be fewer body parts that require a soaking! I jest, but it’s true.

Sometimes I am limited by the products from which I get to select, as I can be a little picky at times. I know what I like. One of my favorite fragrances is the combination of spearmint and lemongrass. Everything in life should be scented with this mix. I haven’t been able to find a bath soak that has those fragrances, so I decided to make my own!

In order to make your own bath soak, there are a few things that you may need, but the ability to customize your relaxation time is awesome. Just take note that some essential oils may not react well with your skin, so please, please, PLEASE, use what you know is safe for you own personal body chemistry. For instance, sometimes I can get an allergic reaction to baking soda. It’s to the point where I have one armpit that requires sensitive skin deodorants, while the other one can be slathered in just about anything and not result in a red, itchy mess. Weird, right?

I use a small food processor for ease when it comes to blending up my Epsom and Himalayan salts with essential oils.  It makes the result much finer and easier to dissolve in your bath.

Make Your Own Bath Soak

  • 1 cup Epsom Salt (plain is fine)
  • ½ cup Pink Himalayan Salt 
  • 15-20 Drops Essential Oils
  • ¼ cup Baking Soda (see note about sensitive skin)

Combine about ½ of each ingredient into a small food processor. Pulse until the salts, oils, and baking soda (if used) turn into a fine texture. Pour into a cute container or even one that you pulled and cleaned from your recycle bin (I fully support being resourceful!). Repeat the steps until all of your soak blend has been processed. I find a funnel to be helpful when it comes to pouring the mixture into your container of choice.

That’s it. The next time you run a bath, dump your mix into the tub as it fills. Let your cares and pain melt away as you become enveloped in your favorite scent of essential oils. Soak as long as you desire.

What is your favorite essential oil scent? How often are you able to soak? Do you experience some pain and stress relief through a warm bath? What are some of your favorite self-care tips?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find Your Voice

I Am Deeply Loved by the Gods and Goddesses

It's Okay to Need Meds