Wellness Wednesday: Cannabis

Disclaimer: I live in a state where recreational and medical cannabis is legal.

I have lived with the symptoms of several chronic pain conditions for a number of years. From fibromyalgia and scoliosis, to neuropathy and connective tissue disorders, my body is in pain daily. The only thing that seems to change about my pain are the locations and intensities. Unfortunately, very little can be done in regards to effective pain relief. I have tried a variety of pharmaceutical prescription medications, often experiencing significant side-effects, which preclude me from even reaching the therapeutic dose. I often get gastro side-effects, but also have experienced a total mental numbness, lack of appetite, and swelling of my hands. I recently started a new medication for my ice pick headaches, which I hope will help to alleviate those annoying and painful sensations.

Shallow Focus Photography of Cannabis PlantBefore it is suggested, I have completely changed my life after getting sick. I switched to my current diet of gluten free and vegan in hopes that it would make me feel better. The switch did, in a way, as the vegan lifestyle aligned with what I had already held to be true, so that part wasn’t difficult. I also lost 100+ pounds and have kept it off for a few years. None of that made my pain lessen.

Changing my diet and losing weight didn’t reduce my pain. The medications didn’t make my pain more manageable. Do you know what did? The introduction of cannabis. I use cannabis on a daily basis to let me have some sort of life. There are still many days where even the best strain can’t touch my pain or fatigue. Let alone the anxiety and depression that often accompany chronic pain. Cannabis is the only thing that makes my pain more manageable, allowing me to enjoy life in a way that I couldn’t before.

Would you use cannabis if it were legal where you lived? If you do enjoy cannabis, do you have a favorite strain? I am partial to indica and indica-dominant hybrids due to the pain reducing qualities of indicas. Afghani is one of my favorite indica strains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find Your Voice

I Am Deeply Loved by the Gods and Goddesses

It's Okay to Need Meds