Teach Me Tuesday: A Delicious Mess

One of my hobbies lately is cooking recipes I come across on Pinterest. I can scroll Pinterest on my phone for hours a day, selectively pinning everything from Tiny House Awesomeness, to a board I call Nothing But Carrot Cake. Somewhere in between those I stumbled across a recipe for BBQ Pulled Jackfruit. If you don’t know jack about jackfruit, it is time you learned! I find it to be tastier than any vegan meat substitute out there. You’ll typically find it in the canned food section of your local health food store. We pick up ours from our local Natural Grocers. When cooking with it, just make sure to rinse it THOROUGHLY. Otherwise you might get stuck with a brine-y tasting and smelling dish.

I ended up making two baking dishes full of BBQ pulled jackfruit, which I later used to make some delicious taquitos. Dinner was delicious, but the mess it left in the baking dishes were not. We tried soaking them overnight to see if we could get the sticky BBQ sauce remnants off the pans. No luck. Then we used green scouring pads that took more energy and strength than I have on a typical day. I perused the interwebs and tried soaking them in a strong vinegar/water mix. Still no real results. I found that a thick paste of regular ole baking soda worked the best. As you can see, the pictures really speak to the results. It still took a little scrubbing, but I can see through them again! It is scary to think that some people suggest using harsh oven cleaning chemicals to clean such grime. No thanks. Not on anything that comes into direct contact with my delicious food!

Having chronic illnesses makes such “hacks” beneficial, as we can reserve our spoons for the important things. Not that fighting grime isn’t important, but we have better things to do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find Your Voice

I Am Deeply Loved by the Gods and Goddesses

It's Okay to Need Meds